The most common illnesses found among dogs are infections caused by intestinal worms and parasitic mites. When preventive measures are not undertaken, these diseases may cause a lot of money for treatment. Here is a summary of those diseases that need immediate attention to keep dogs form harm with their corresponding symptoms.
- Heartworms. They are usually caused by an infected mosquito in which its bite will transmit heartworms to your dogs. They are fatal parasites as the infection will immediately damage the heart of your dogs and are proven to be fatal. It will damage your dog’s heart before it can even be diagnosed by the veterinarian.
- Roundworms. They are intestinal parasites that will cause diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, pot-bellied appearance and when not treated accordingly can even lead to death.
- Hookworms. They are also intestinal parasites that consume blood and tissue and therefore causes anemia to the dog. Puppies simply get infected with these parasites just by nursing from their infected mother.
- Demodectic Mange. This disease is caused by a dog mite known as demodex that lives in the hair follicles within the dog’s skin, causing the dog to scratch its skin until it suffers from hair loss.
- Sarcoptic mange. This disease is caused by a dog mite called Sarcoptes scabiei. In more common terms it is calles scabies, where the dog’s body parts suffer from itchiness, skin rash and hair loss in the ears, elbows, hocks, abdomen, and chest.
Ivermectin for dogs is known as the medication for the above-mentioned infections. It is known in the United States under the brand names Heartgard, Tri-Heart, and Ivomec. Since 1981, Ivermectin has contributed a lot in the treatment as well as prevention of parasitic infections among domesticated dogs, as well as horses and cats. Consult your veterinarian for appropriate dosage once you see your dog exhibit symptoms of uneasiness and illness that may be similar to the conditions above.