Ivermectin is the drug of choice in the parasitic infections of dogs caused by parasitic mites and intestinal worms. It works to paralyze the nervous system of the parasites by blocking its muscle activity. It is available in many forms: pills, chewable tablets, liquid, and injection.
The use if Ivermectin for dogs is largely recommended according to government approved product labeling as well as according to the prescription set by the veterinarian. You must understand that like all other drugs used for the treatment of diseases in animals and people, precaution must be exercised at all times to avoid under and over dosage. Also, it is basically a poison created for the killing of parasites. Irresponsible use may be lethal to your dog.
Ivermectin for dog’s dosage is usually at .0015 to .003mg per pound and administered monthly in the prevention of heartworms. For parasitic infestations such as demodectic and sarcoptic mange, it is .15mg per pound. As you can see the dosage of Ivermectin largely depends on the weight of dogs as well as the repeated needs to treat the dog. There are dogs as well that are sensitive to Ivermectin, therefore it is really a must to consult a veterinarian regarding the use of the compound. It is not also advised for use in puppies less than 6 weeks of age. Lastly, it is safe to administer in pregnant and lactating dogs.
Ivermectin is generally a safe drug for dogs. With regards to its side effects as evident in earlier clinical studies, the most common are depression, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea, lack of appetite, seizures, incoordination, and excessive salivation. Side effects are rare as long as you follow the recommended dosage of the drug. It is not suggested for use in Collies and other herding breeds of dogs.