Under the group of dwarf hamsters are three species: Campbell Russian Hamster, White Winter Russian Hamster, and the Roborovski Dwarf Hamster. This article will focus largely on the Robo Dwarf Hamsters. They originated from Western and Eastern Mongolia, as well as Northern China. In the 1960’s they were imported into the United Kingdom by the London Zoo for breeding and were later imported to the United States in the 1990’s. They are widely available now in many countries around the world and can be purchased at pet shops and hamster breeders.
They are popularly known to be the smallest among all dwarf hamsters being only 4 to 5 centimeters in length. But they are known to be the fastest. Other details on this dwarf hamster species is as follows:
1. Its back is sandy gold.
2. Its belly is white.
3. Its eyebrows are uniquely white.
4. It is extremely active and fast.
5. It is a sociable pet, and has good temperament.
6. It is suggested to keep them along with other hamsters of its kind to increase its lifespan.
7. A group of hamsters can be grouped together in one cage with the same or opposite sex, and are guaranteed to not fight at all.
8. It is nocturnal so it is normally active at night, although it also gets lively for short periods in daylight.
9. The gestation period for the robo hamsters is 23 to 30 days.
10. The lifespan ranges from 3 to 3 ½ years to as long as 4 years.
Due to the fact that the robo hamsters are sociable and active, you must provide it a home that makes it accessible for him to exercise his alertness. Purchase lots and lots of toys, cart wheels, and other equipments at the pet shop ideal for dwarf hamsters. Also, make sure that the cage has narrow spaces in between bars. Better yet, choose a glass or plastic cage, or an aquarium.